|1. Description - |
|An in-depth study of drug groups commonly used in the treatment of respiratory diseases. Intended for students in the respiratory therapy program.|
|Corequisite: RSPT 50A.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- calculate drug dosages from prepared-strength liquids.
- solve percentage and solution problems.
- describe the principles of drug action.
- compare and contrast the autonomic effects in the cardiopulmonary system.
- describe the mechanism of bronchospasm.
- differentiate the pharmacologic effects of sympathomimetic bronchodilators, parasympatholytics, xanthine bronchodilators, mucus-controlling agents, surface-active agents, cold and cough agents, corticosteroids, and mediator antagonists.
- based upon patients condition, select the appropriate respiratory pharmacologic agent.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- drug dosage calculations
- nebulization duration
- percentage and solution problems.
- by body weight
- by duration
- for reconstituted drugs
- principles of drug action.
- general principles
- principles related to respiratory therapy drugs, especially nebulized drugs
- autonomic effects in the cardiopulmonary system.
- sympathetic nervous system
- parasympathetic nervous system
- the mechanism of bronchospasm.
- constriction of the smooth bronchial muscles
- airway inflammation
- Bronchodilators and specialized agents
- mucus controlling agents
- surface active agents
- cold and cough agents
- mediator antagonists
- selection of the appropriate respiratory pharmacologic agent.
- rescue drugs
- maintenance drugs
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Final examination.
- Problem solving exercises.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Rau, Joseph L., Jr., Respiratory Care Pharmacology, 8th ed., Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., 2011. ISBN: 978-0323075282 |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Respiratory Therapy |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
- written quizzes
- midterm; and
- final examination
|10. Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Assigned reading from textbook, approximately one chapter per week. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a required core course for the A.S. degree in Respiratory Therapy. |