|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Describe the process of professional development and outline the steps required for continuing education and life-long learning in radiology.
- Describe the concept of compassion fatigue and the impact on healthcare workers ability to provide high quality patient care.
|Description - |
|Professional development in radiography, continuing education, and advanced modality opportunities. Intended for students in the Radiologic Technology Program; enrollment is limited to students accepted in the program.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- complete the credentialing process required to sit for the ARRT and RHB board examinations.
- develop a resume and cover letter.
- differentiate the various radiology agencies and their function.
- identify the organizations related to the professional aspects of radiologic technology.
- outline steps required for professional advancement and continuing education.
- identify the importance of emotional intelligence.
- recognize and avoid compassion fatigue.
- finalize a professional portfolio that outlines the student's educational process.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- Classroom with multimedia equipment and Internet access.
- Computer access/internet access for online Etudes component.
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Professional Credentialing (Lec)
- Professional Development (Lec)
- Cover Letter
- Job Search
- Interviewing skills
- Agencies (Lec)
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)
- Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB)
- American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS)
- State, CDPH - Radiation Health Branch
- Professional Organizations (Lec)
- Purpose, function, activities
- Local organizations
- State organizations
- American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT)
- American Healthcare Radiology Administrators (AHRA)
- Association of Collegiate Educators in Radiologic Technology (ACERT)
- Association of Educators in Imaging and Radiologic Sciences Inc. (AEIRS)
- International Society of Radiographers and Radiological Technologists (ISRRT)
- Related associations organizations
- American Board of Radiology (ABR)
- American College of Radiology (ACR)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- Professional Development and Advancement (Lec)
- Continuing education and competency requirements
- Requirements (ARRT, State, Institutional)
- Continuing education opportunities
- Postprimary certification
- Collegiate/educational programs
- Self-learning activities
- Professional conferences
- Employment considerations
- Geographic mobility
- Economic factors
- Manpower issues
- Advancement opportunities
- Medical informatics
- Emotional Intelligence (Lec)
- Applicability to professional behaviors
- Employer survey
- Compassion Fatigue (Lec)
- Coping mechanisms
- Modalities most at risk
- Professional Portfolio (Lec)
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Online discussions and professional portfolio. |
|Representative Text(s) - |
|None required. |
|Disciplines - |
|Radiologic Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Assignments, Group Activities, Online discussions. |
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading Assignment: Article on avoiding compassion fatigue .
- Outside Assignment: Development of cover letter and resume.
- Survey management at the clinical setting for attributes of a successful RT.
- Evaluation of professional development opportunities.