|1. Description - |
|Continuation of R T 62A with emphasis on radiography of the skull, facial bones, mandible, and sinuses. Advanced radiographic procedures with emphasis on angiographic, cerebral, heart and interventional procedures, angiographic equipment, radiographic anatomy and pathology. Intended for students accepted into the Radiologic Technology Program.|
|Prerequisite: R T 62A.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- explain and evaluate radiographic positioning and procedures of the skull, facial bones, sinuses and cranium.
- analyze anatomy and pathology related to the skull, facial bones, sinuses and cranium.
- discuss specialized angiographic x-ray equipment, state its use, and describe how it functions.
- correctly identify the blood vessels of the human body.
- discuss basic equipment components and procedures required for cerebral angiography.
- describe the basic equipment required for heart catheterization.
- define interventional angiography and describe specific examples of vascular procedures.
- describe the surgical enviroment and radiographic equipment application.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Classroom with view boxes, multimedia equipment and Internet access. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Skull Positioning and Procedures (Lec)
- facial bones
- sella tursica
- petrous pyramids
- optic foramina
- maxilla, mandible
- temporo-mandibular joints
- nasal bones
- salivary glands
- Anatomy and Pathology (Lec)
- emphasis on the head and brain
- cerebral accidents
- Angiography Overview (Lec)
- Medical legal issues
- Patient care
- Seldinger technique
- Vessel selection
- Contrast media
- Blood Vessels (Lec)
- Aorta and branches
- Cerebral Angiography (Lec)
- Heart Catheterization (Lec)
- Heart anatomy
- Procedures and positioning
- Interventional Radiography (Lec)
- Balloon Angioplasty
- Vascular stents
- Vena Cava Filters
- Surgery Applications (Lec)
- C-arm Applications
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
|Quizzes, midterm and final examination. |
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Bontrager, Kenneth. Textbook of Radiographic Positioning and Related Anatomy. 7th Edition. St. Louis Missouri: C.V. Mosby, 2010. ISBN 9781437768015 |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Radiologic Technology. |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Demonstration, Discussion, Group Activities |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Reading Assignments: Weekly reading assignments from the course syllabus and textbook. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is required core course for the A.S. degree in Radiologic Technology. |