|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Explain current federal payroll tax accounting rules and procedures.
- Perform related calculations and demonstrate the ability to apply rules and /or procedures to solve payroll tax accounting problems.
|Description - |
|Presentation of basic payroll procedures used in business today. Provides practice in recording procedures and preparation of tax returns.|
|Course Objectives - |
|Student will be able to: |
- Describe payroll laws and record-keeping requirements.
- Explain the procedures to maintain payroll records.
- Analyze, compute, and report payroll taxes.
- Prepare and distribute the payroll
- Identify and explain payroll systems and control procedures.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Access to a PC lab and Excel software. When taught as an online distance learning section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous Internet and Email access. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Employees versus independent contractors, federal laws protecting equal right in employment.
- Timekeeping records and computing gross earnings
- Withholding federal and state income taxes, FICA taxes and other withholdings and unemployment taxes.
- Maintaining payroll register, employee earnings records, and paying employee wages.
- Making tax deposits, employer wages and tax reporting, payroll wages reports, and reports on non-employee compensation
- Manual systems, mechanized systems, and computerized systems.
- Maintain internal control over payroll systems.
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Midterm and final exams.
- Computerized assignments.
- Preparing payroll tax forms
- Homework assignments.
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Bieg, Bernard J., Payroll Accounting 2010 Edition. Ohio: South-Western, 2010. |
|Disciplines - |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, in class or electronic discussions, report preparation, research projects and case studies. |
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading from assigned text
- Reading California Publications and Form Instructions at http://www.ftb.ca.gov
- Reading the latest Federal Tax updates at the IRS website
- Reading the latest California Tax updates at the CA FTB website
- Reading Internal Revenue Tax Code and Regulations
- Reading of Wall Street Journal, Business Week, and Fortune