|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Demonstrate proper equipment manipulation, patient positioning, and anatomic image evaluation for the abdomen procedure in the clinical setting.
- On a performance competency skills test the student will demonstrate proper medical asepsis techniques and perform safe patient transport in the radiology department.
|Description - |
|Orientation to radiation sciences, with emphasis on clinical participation. Intended for students in the Radiologic Technology Program; enrollment is limited to students accepted in the program.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- identify various radiology departments and procedures.
- explain and perform radiation protective measures to self and patient.
- manipulate and identify basic x-ray equipment and accessory items.
- explain necessary steps for radiographic image processing.
- perform and explain patient transfer techniques.
- execute basic vital sign assessment.
- perform positioning for a routine abdomen procedure.
- describe and demonstrate infection control techniques.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Clinical sites. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Orientation to Radiology Department (Lab)
- Hospital / Department Tour
- Introduction to Staff
- Review Policies and Procedures
- Patient Processing
- Waiting / dressing rooms
- Confidentiality of patient information.
- Radiation Protection (Lab)
- Closing doors
- Gonadal shields
- Aprons and gloves
- Department protocols
- Equipment Manipulation (Lab)
- Tube locks
- Table movements
- Control panel
- Introduction to Image Processing (Lab)
- Image Receptors Sizes
- Image Manipulation
- Image Processor Manipulation
- Proper way to transfer patients from wheelchairs and gurneys (Lab)
- Body mechanics
- Patient safety
- Lifting methods
- Vital signs (Lab)
- Blood pressure
- Mock Abdomen Positioning (Lab)
- Central ray centering
- Positioning landmarks
- Cassette placement
- Infection Control and Universal Precautions (Lab)
- Medical Asepsis
- Surgical Asepsis
- Environmental Asepsis
- Chemical Disinfectants
- Department Policies
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Mock Abdomen Skills Test.
- Vital Signs Skills Test.
- Clinical Evaluation Assessment Tool.
|Representative Text(s) - |
- Foothill College (RT): Clinical Education Manual-Orientation.
- Foothill College (RT): Student Handbook.
- Foothill College (RT): Student Clinical Competency Handbook.
|Disciplines - |
|Radiologic Technology. |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Demonstration and Discussion. |
|Lab Content - |
- Radiologic Technology clinical practice.
- Radiation protection.
- Equipment operation.
- Image production.
- Image evaluation.
- Radiographic procedures.
- Patient care in a clinical setting.
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Reading Assignments: Required reading from Clinical Education Manuals. |