|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Apply accounting principles and procedures by data entry of business transactions into a computerized spreadsheet program.
- Integrate knowledge of various accounting principles and the spreadsheet program into various accounting work papers and financial reports.
|Description - |
|Practice in using an electronic spreadsheet program to organize and process financial and managerial accounting data. Includes research on the Internet.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- work independently and comply with written instructions on handling accounting information.
- establish and meet a time schedule.
- increase comprehension of accounting concepts.
- understand the basic mechanics of an electronic spreadsheet.
- create spreadsheet reports.
- analyze spreadsheet reports.
- conduct research on the Internet.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Access to a computer lab and Excel software. When taught as an online distance learning section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous Internet and email access. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Using a combination of pre-programmed and model building exercises learn or review the following Excel functions
- Pivot Tables
- Using a combination of preprogrammed & model building exercises create or complete a computerized spreadsheet version of the following:
- Business transactions
- Trial balance worksheet
- Income statement
- Balance sheet
- Statement of owner's equity and/or statement of retained earnings
- Statement of cash flows
- Bank reconciliation
- Inventory cost flow schedules (FIFO/LIFO)
- Depreciation schedules
- Loan payment schedule
- Bond amortization schedules
- Vertical analysis
- Horizontal analysis
- Payroll register
- Cash budget
- Ratio analysis
- Prepare a financial analysis model that incorporates many of the problems and models already prepared above, including written analysis
- Print out and discuss information obtained from internet research
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Final review of printout copy of all problems assigned. |
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Smith, Gaylord N. Excel Applications for Accounting Principles. Ohio: Thomson South-Western, 2012. |
|Disciplines - |
Computer Information Systems
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Electronic discussions/chat, Demonstration. |
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading of internet articles and writing on accounting topics or accounting related current events and/or careers.
- Written financial statement analysis accompanying various assignments.