|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- State the requirements for admission,technical standards, schedule,legal requirements of the Pharmacy Technician Program and federal and state laws.
- Evaluate the pros and cons of the role of the pharmacy technician in providing health care utilizing interviews during a pharmacy visitation.
|Description - |
|Introduction to the pharmaceutical sciences and the functions of a pharmacy technician in health care. Role of the pharmacy technician, areas of specialization in the field, technical standards, state registration requirements and employment opportunities.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Describe the Foothill College Pharmacy Technology Curriculum.
- State the requirements and explain the application process for the Foothill College Pharmacy Technician Program.
- Describe orally and in writing the role of the pharmacy technician in various health care settings.
- Discuss the technical standards and demands and role of the pharmacy technician.
- Describe in writing the state requirements for registration
- Orally present the results of a pharmacy visitation and and what is required of a pharmacy technician from an expert in the profession.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Pharmacy Technology Laboratory, audio visual aids, pharmacy clinical sites. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Foothill Pharmacy Technician Program.
- ASHP Curriculum
- Course requirements
- Program course work
- lecture courses
- lab courses
- Grading policies
- Financial requirements
- Transportation requirements
- Foothill College Pharmacy Technician Admission Criteria
- Application process
- Role of the Pharmacy Technician in various health care settings
- Outpatient/Retail Setting
- Inpatient/Hospital Setting
- Specialized pharmacy settings
- skilled nursing facilities
- compounding pharmacy
- mail order pharmacy
- Standards of the Pharmacy Technician Profession
- Desirable characteristics of a pharmacy technician
- personality traits
- professional behavioral requirements and expectations
- Technical standards
- Job responsibilities and duties
- Pharmacy health care ethics
- Wages/salary range
- Local and surrounding wages
- Out of State
- Wage differential based on pharmacy setting
- Job opportunities
- Levels of job satisfaction
- Other pharmacy tech related job opportunities
- Requirements for California State License
- Specific state registration requirements
- PTCE national board testing
- Pharmacy visitation
- Interview with Pharmacy Staff
- Pharmacy Technician
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|The following evaluation methods may include but are not limited to: |
- Written research paper
- Oral presentation
- Class discussion participation
- Comprehensive exam
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Instructor generated materials. |
|Disciplines - |
|Pharmacy Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Review of reading packet, assigned online references
- Individual reports (written and oral)based on research and field trip interviews at pharmacies.