|1. Description - |
|Floral design geared to the preparation of seasonal and holiday floral arrangements using commercially grown fresh and dried materials and other ornamentation. Concentrates on seasonal-specific floral designs and emphasizes the techniques and mechanics used in retail florist shop design.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- master the making of seasonal arrangements such as seasonal centerpieces, fresh and dried wreath making, and evergreen swags.
- create seasonal and holiday decorations.
- master the proper use of floral accessories in design.
- demonstrate an understanding of how flowers are used in seasonal and holiday settings n different cultures.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Horticultural laboratory with floral refrigerator, large tables, and sinks. Students provide flowers, foliage, containers, and all other supplies for floral displays as needed. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Methods for preserving plant materials used in seasonal designs
- Steps in construction of designs
- Special care of evergreen materials
- Themes as used in holiday decor
- Trends and traditions for holiday floral designs
- Bow making and ribbon use
- Decoration of potted plants
- Seasonal and holiday floral displays in other cultures
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Evaluation of each design produced in the class.
- Project notebook - maintenance of a notebook which includes a sketch or photo of designs produced in class along with details of their construction.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|DeJong-Stout, Alisa. A Master Guide to the Art of Floral Design. Portland, OR: Timber Press, 2006. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Environmental Horticulture & Design |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|10. Lab Content - |
- Floral design theory lab: In this lab, students will work with the instructor to examine and disassemble several floral arrangements in order to understand the theory behind their design.
- Bow making lab: This lab is dedicated solely to the design and assembly of bows for floral arrangements.
- Container plant lab: Students will examine and apply the use of containers in floral designs.
- Seasonally appropriate floral design labs: Lab(s) dedicated to the assembly of floral arrangements for seasonal applications and holidays.
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading assignments will include reading approximately 20 pages per week from the assigned text (2 hrs.).
- Lectures will address reading topics and experiences of the instructor. Classroom discussion and demonstrations in support of lecture topics will be provided.
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a restricted support course for the AS degree in Environmental Horticulture & Design. |