|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Demonstrate landscape design skills.
- Exhibit understanding of design theory and process.
|Description - |
|An overview of the basic principles of landscape design. Presents basic graphic communication concepts. Also explores the concept of master planning residential landscapes, and designing with plant material and related landscape elements.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- exhibit an understanding of basic theory and process in landscape design.
- exhibit an understanding of graphic communication concepts.
- exhibit an understanding of residential landscape master planning.
- demonstrate, through a landscape design skills project, practical skills in landscape design.
- exhibit an understanding of culturally diverse landscapes.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Design laboratory. Students provide drafting equipment and supplies as needed. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Basic landscape design theory and process
- Landscape graphic communication process
- Residential landscape master planning
- Phasing of projects
- Cost benefits
- Managing implementation
- Overview of the cultural diversity found in historical and contemporary landscapes
- Guest speakers (as appropriate to topics)
- Professional organizations and trades serving the landscape design industry
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Design skills project.
- Documented active participation which furthers design skills.
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Booth, Norman and Hiss, James, Residential Landscape Architecture: Design Process for the Private Residence, 4 ed. New York, NY, Prentice Hall, 2004. |
|Disciplines - |
|Environmental Horticulture & Design |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Guest speakers.
- Reading activities.
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading assignments include reading approximately 10-20 pages per week from assigned text and supplemental reading.
- Writing assignments include topical white papers.