|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- List activities involved in recruiting and managing employees.
- Demonstrate knowledge of human resource management techniques.
|Description - |
|Employee management practices including the recruitment, motivation, and development of new employees. Also covered are effective customer service techniques, workplace diversity, the use of employee manuals, identifying and training new and potential managers, development of leadership skills, scheduling, and the role of the supervisor.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- list the activities involved in recruiting and managing employees.
- demonstrate knowledge of common green industry business and organizational practices through class exercises and written examinations.
- demonstrate knowledge of positive reinforcement and motivational practices for employees.
- discuss common management problems and potential solutions in focus group settings.
- identify ways to encourage cultural diversity in the workplace.
- demonstrate an understanding of the use of employee manuals.
- demonstrate knowledge of human resource management techniques.
- develop programs for employee education.
- implement customer service strategies.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Design laboratory with multi-media projection system. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Introductory survey of employee management practices
- Employee recruitment and training
- Identification of skill sets required
- Workplace diversity
- Recruitment and selection
- Employee development (education and mentoring)
- Employee manual (policies and procedures)
- Motivation of employees (positive reinforcement and teamwork)
- Employee discipline
- Planning, setting, and achieving goals
- Termination of employees
- Identifying and training new managers
- Development of leadership skills
- Delegating responsibilities
- The role of the supervisor
- Monitoring budgets
- Preparing estimates
- Scheduling of employees
- Customer service
- customer service program
- conflict resolution strategies
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Methods of evaluation used for this course will include: |
- Participation through attendance
- Exercises and assignments
- Midterm examination
- Final examination
- Development of employee manual
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Armstrong, Sharon, The Essential HR Handbook, Career Press Publishers, 2008. |
|Disciplines - |
|Environmental Horticulture & Design |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Instructional methods to be used in this class will include: |
- Participate in discussions.
- Guest speakers.
- Engage in small group discussions.
- Read assigned reading activities.
- Perform self-guided research
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading assignments will include reading approximately 20-40 pages per week from assigned text. Supplemental reading will be provided in hand-out form or through reference to on-line resources.
- Lectures will address reading topics and experiences of instructor. Classroom discussion and demonstrations in support of lecture topics will be provided.
- Guest speakers from industry will provide supplemental lecture and demonstration.
- Writing assignments include:
- topical white papers
- preparation of employee manual