|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Discuss common management problems and potential solutions.
- Prepare a written business or stategic management plan.
|Description - |
|Introductory survey of green industry management and business practices. Geared to people in such fields as landscape construction, nursery management, and landscape design, this course focuses on helping individuals successfully organize, manage, and/or market their agency or small business. The class utilizes both a theoretical and hands-on approach to the application of common business principles.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- analyze the existing assets and liabilities of the individual's business or agency and prepare a self-evaluation report.
- demonstrate knowledge of common green industry business and organizational practices.
- demonstrate knowledge of the elements of business and organizational planning, marketing, public relations, and financing
- discuss common management problems and potential solutions in focus group settings.
- assess the impacts of cultural diversity within the business community and on the job.
- prepare a written business or strategic management plan.
- demonstrate knowledge of human resource management techniques.
- manage the finances and resources of a small business.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Design laboratory with multi-media projection system. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Introductory survey of green industry management and business practices.
- Self-assessment research and process
- Organizational analysis
- Strategic planning
- Business structure
- Management policies
- Goal setting
- Marketing and public relations
- Developing a strategic and/or business plan
- Contracts and legal issues
- Promotion of business
- Business contacts
- Managing employees
- Business development
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Methods of evaluation used for this course will include: |
- Participation through attendance
- Exercises and assignments
- Midterm examination
- Business or strategic plan
- Final examination
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Dell, Owen, How to Start a Home-Based Landscaping Business, 6 ed. Old Saybrook, Connecticut, Globe Pequot Press, 2010. |
|Disciplines - |
|Environmental Horticulture & Design |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Instructional methods to be used in this class will include: |
- Participate in discussions.
- Listen to guest speakers.
- Engage in small group discussions.
- Read assigned reading activities.
- Perform self-guided research
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading assignments will include reading approximately 30-50 pages per week from assigned text. Supplemental reading will be provided in hand-out form or through reference to on-line resources.
- Lectures will address reading topics and experiences of instructor. Classroom discussion and demonstrations in support of lecture topics will be provided.
- Guest speakers from industry will provide supplemental lecture and demonstration.
- Writing assignments include:
- topical white papers
- preparation of business plan