|1. Description - |
|A continuation of DMS 52A with an emphasis on transducers, pulsed waves, real-time imaging and image display. Intended for students in the diagnostic medical sonography program.|
|Prerequisite: DMS 52A.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Identify the various types of transducers and describe the differences.
- Explain the principles of pulsed waves.
- Identify the differences between two-dimensional imaging and other types of imaging.
- Identify the components of the image display.
- discuss the role of cultural diversity upon the field of physics.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|DVD/TV video system, internet access, computer, slide system, overhead projector. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Transducer construction
- Transducer properties
- Principles of pulsed sound waves.
- Sound beam anatomy
- Lateral resolution
- Two-dimensional imaging.
- 2-D imaging
- Various transducer types to create the 2D image.
- Pulsed echo instrumentation and image display.
- Receiver functions
- Electrical interaction
- Reconstruction of the image
- Sender/receiver interfaces
- Care and cleaning of transducers
- Storage of transducers
- Real time imaging.
- Dynamic range
- Harmonic imaging
- Matrix of real time imaging
- Contrast materials
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Final exam
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Hedrick, Wayne, Technology for Diagnostic Sonography, St. Louis: Elsevier Publishing,2013. |
Hedrick, Wayne, Study Guide and laboratory Exercises, Elsevier Publishing, St Louis, Missouri, 2013.
|8. Disciplines - |
|Diagnostic Medical Technology |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture presentations, classroom discussions, and homework. |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Read text assignments
- Complete written sections on tests
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a required core course for the AS degree and Certificate of Achievement in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. |