|1. Description - |
|Principles of diagnostic ultrasound, wave characteristics, artifacts, propagation, acoustic variables, and review of mathematical skills. Intended for students in the diagnostic medical sonography program.|
|Prerequisite: DMS 50A.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- utilize basic mathematical skills by solving equations.
- describe propagation of sound waves.
- discuss wave characteristics.
- describe artifacts.
- explain beam intensities.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|DVD/TV, internet access, computer, monitor, viewboxes. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Math review
- algebraic equations
- metric system
- limited trigonometric functions
- Principles of sound waves and how they propagate.
- Defining sound, ultrasound, and waves
- Sound parameters and acoustic variables.
- 7 parameters of sound
- Interaction of sound in various media.
- pulsed sound introduction
- pulsed sound parameters
- Beam intensities.
- sound interaction in media
- range equation
- mirror artifact
- critical angle
- side lobes
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Written quizzes
- Comprehensive final.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Hedrick, Wayne, Technology for Diagnostic Sonography, St. Louis: Elsevier Publishing, 2013. |
Hedrick, Wayne, Study Guide and laboratory Exercises, St. Louis: Elsevier Publishing, 2013.
|8. Disciplines - |
|Diagnostic Medical Technology |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture presentations, classroom discussions, and homework. |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Read text assignments
- Complete written sections on tests.
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a required core course for the AS degree and Certificate of Achievement in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. |