|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- The student will be able to state the criteria for selecting an appropriate patient for the dental hygiene California State Board Examination.
- The student will assess patients according to criteria for dental hygiene licensure as established by the California State Board of Dental Examiners.
|Description - |
|Assists the student in identifying an appropriate patient for clinical state and/or regional board licensing exam for Dental Hygienists and in identifying and anticipating methods which will influence a successful board experience. Supportive course to reinforce and amplify the knowledge and skills needed to perform dental hygiene procedures. Intended for students in the dental hygiene program.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
Dental Hygiene Process of Care
- Recruit patients for licensing exam screenings in the clinic.
- Assess patients according to current board exam criteria during screening sessions.
- Identify factors that will contribute to a successful licensing exam experience.
- Identify clinical state and/or regional board patients
Ethical & Legal Principles
- Apply the principles of law and ethics to the practice of dental hygiene.
Foothill College Dental Hygiene Program Competencies
Our graduates will be competent:
- in assessing the oral health needs of diverse populations and providing comprehensive dental hygiene care for persons of all ages/stages of life.
- in health education strategies for the prevention of disease & the promotion of health for individual clients and the community.
- in infection & hazard control procedures to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
- in the ethical & legal principles underlying the practice of dental hygiene.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Classroom with multi-media, dental hygiene clinic. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
|Dental Hygiene Process of Care |
- Recruit patients for licensing exam screenings in the clinc. (Lec/Lab)
- Strategies for recruiting patients
- Places to recruit patients
- Assess patients according to current board exam criteria during screening sessions. (Lec/Lab)
- Current criteria for an acceptable clinical licensing exam patient.
- medical history
- probing criteria
- calculus criteria
- Additional requirements
- Identify factors that will contribute to a successful licensing exam experience. (Lec)
- Patient selection
- Patient preparation
- Equipment organization
- Procedural organization
- Psychological preparation
- Develop individual action plan
- Discuss specific cases which may qualify as clinical board licensing exam patients
- case studies
- Identify clinical state and/or regional board patients. (Lab)
- Assess patients according to criteria
- Prioritize patients according to criteria as primary or back up patients
- Expose and develop radiographs according to criteria
Ethical and Legal Principles
- Apply the principles of law and ethics to the practice of dental hygiene. (Lec/Lab)
- Clinical Licensing Examination Paperwork
- patient records
- Legal duties of California dental hygienist
- Patient confidentiality
- Professional ethics and interactions with faculty, patients and peers
- Cultural competency
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Patient Selection Criteria Examination
- Project Requirements:
- Assess patients for dental hygiene treatment according to clinic guidelines
- Identify primary and secondary patients according to criteria outlined for patients for board requirements
- Expose diagnostic radiographs according to clinic guidelines and acceptable standards for board requirements
- Individual action plan for licensing exam
- Class Participation:
- Students must prepare for all classes as demonstrated by having all necessary supplies and equipment in lecture and lab and by participating in class discussions, patient recruitment and screening sessions
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Chan, Patti. Dental Hygiene Licensing Examination Preparation Course Manual. 2016. |
|Disciplines - |
|Dental Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Laboratory. |
|Lab Content - |
|Dental hygiene clinical practice. Assessment and evaluation of patients seen in the clinic during licensing exam screening sessions. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Read 25 pages of criteria for state board and/or regional board in course syllabus.
- Develop recruitment materials (flyers, internet notices, etc) to use in recruiting patients for licensing exam screening sessions.
- Create an individual action plan and strategies for successfully passing the licensing examination.