|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Recognize common oral lesions of either local or systemic origin.
- Describe oral lesions using appropriate terminology, stating etiology, clinical features, pathogenesis and dental implications.
- Describe the differential diagnosis of oral lesions based on reasonable, accurate appraisal of all available information.
|Description - |
|Pathology of the head, neck, and oral structures. Developmental conditions caries, diseases of bacterial and viral origin, neoplasms of the oral cavity. Intended for students in the dental hygiene program.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
Dental Hygiene Process of Care
Preventive,Therapeutic and Supportive Dental Hygiene Procedures
- Recognize deviations(lesions) from normal in an oral exam
- Describe the deviations(lesions) using appropriate terminology
- Identify pertinent questions to ask the patient when assessing the deviations(lesions)
- Discuss the the clinical signs and symptoms of different oral lesions
- Develop a differential diagnosis for different oral lesions
Ethical & Legal Principles
- Given epidemiologic factors,discuss cultural and racial tendencies
- Make appropriate referrals for consulation and treatment
- Integrate referral mechanisms into dental hygiene practice
Foothill College Dental Hygiene Program Competencies:
- assess the value of the dental hygienist in oral pathology
- exhibit professionalism in performing all assignments.
- assess the value of cultural diversity in oral diseases
Our graduates will be competent:
- In assessing the oral health needs of diverse populations and providing comprehensive dental hygiene care for persons of all ages/stages of life.
- In health education strategies for the prevention of disease & the promotion of health for individual clients and the community.
- In infection & hazard control procedures to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
- In the ethical & legal principles underlying the practice of dental hygiene.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Lecture room |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
|Dental Hygiene Process of Care: |
- White lesions
- Red and pigmented lesions
- Oral ulcerations
- Vesticulobullae and desquamative lesions
- Intra-oral soft tissue swellings
- Soft tissue swellings of face and neck
- Radiographic lesions
- Neurologic and functional disorders
- Dental defects
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Written quizzes,
- Midterm and final examination including both objective and essay questions.
|Representative Text(s) - |
|DeLong et al. General and Oral Pathology for the Dental Hygienist. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins 2011 |
|Disciplines - |
|Dental Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Oral presentations
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Weekly required readings from the chapters in the textbook
- Writing assignment which is a research report on an oral lesion of the student's choice