Adding a Class After the Quarter Begins
When Can I get an Add Code?
Students may request an add code before the class starts. However, the add code is not valid
until the first day that the class actually meets. The add code can be used to enroll in online
courses (W at the end of the section number) on the first day of the quarter through the end of the add period.
You can add courses via MyPortal
the first two weeks of the quarter. However, after the first two weeks of the
quarter, you must complete the add process in person at the Admissions & Records Office.
- Attend the first class meeting and collect an add code from the instructor.
Late adds are at the discretion of the instructor and are granted on a space-available basis.
Important: Instructors will not issue add codes until the first day that their own class meets.
- To request an add code for a fully online class, visit Foothill Global Access at http://www.foothill.edu/fga/request_add_code.php
- Log in to your MyPortal account.
- From the Students tab in Myportal, select Add or Drop Classes in the Registration Tools section and select the college and term from the drop-down menu and click Submit.
- Enter the five-digit class CRN into the Add Classes Worksheet at the
bottom of the screen. If you are on the course's waitlist, read the instructions below. Click Submit Changes button. A screen to enter the add code will pop up. Follow the instructions. Remember, payment in full is due immediately at
the time of registration.
Adding a Class If You Are On the Course's Waitlist Prior to the Start Of the Quarter
Prior to the start of the term, you may add a class from the waitlist.
Please Note: Review pages 4 – 6 of the
Student Registration Guide pdf
for detailed information about getting on a course waitlist. You will need
Acrobat Reader to view or print these pages.
New Automated Waitlist Process
How it works:
When a class is full, you may place yourself on a waitlist. If a space opens up
in the class prior to the first class meeting, you will automatically be enrolled
in the class and a confirmation email will be sent to your e-mail address that
is on file.
Important things to know regarding the automated waitlist:
- You must meet the course prerequisites prior to placing yourself on a waitlist.
- If you are waitlisted for two classes that have corequisites, space must be
available in both classes (Example: ASTR 010A and ASTR 010L).
- You can only put yourself on a waitlist for one section of the same course.
- You may not put yourself on a waitlist that conflicts in time with another course.
Check your MyPortal account
to see if you were enrolled after you have received
a confirmation email.
You are still responsible for dropping classes prior to the appropriate deadlines.
How to Drop a Class
There are several ways to drop a class during the drop period. You will be required to supply the complete course
title and course number. Simply complete one of the steps listed below:
- Log in to MyPortal and drop the class. Review important drop deadlines by clicking on View Your Class Schedule
- Write a letter that includes your full name, student ID, signature, complete course title and course number.
Mail to Foothill College Admissions & Records Office, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022-4599.
- Fax a drop request form (PDF) and include your full name, student ID, signature, complete course title and course
number to (650) 949-6979.
- Submit a drop request form (PDF) at either of the Admissions & Records offices in person during business hours.
Be certain to bring your student ID and photo identification.
You are responsible for initiating the official drop process. Failure to officially drop classes will result in assessed
enrollment fees for which you are financially responsible as well as failing grades on your college transcript.
Answers to Your Questions
If you encounter problems or have questions, Contact Admissions & Registration for assistance.