In the News...
The Celebrity Forum Speakers Series
announces its 43rd annual season with seven powerhouse presenters, including Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, Louise Leakey, Greg Mortenson, Reza Aslan, Yo-Yo Ma, Tony Blair and Ben Zander.
Voted the best lecture series in the nation by the International Platform Association, Celebrity Forum is presented by the Foothill-De Anza Community College District
. The series brings distinguished speakers to Silicon Valley to share their experiences and perspectives on a variety of topics. The goal is to provide college students and community members with a deeper understanding of politics, world affairs, science, economics, education, business, the arts and the entertainment world. Audiences have the unique opportunity to hear formal presentations and to ask questions of knowledgeable heads-of-state, brilliant scientists, prominent educators, members of royalty, outstanding business leaders and various notable newsmakers.
“The Celebrity Forum stands for the relevance and power of ideas,” says Founder and Executive Director Richard Henning, Ed.D.
“In a very important way, it represents one of the significant ways our society has of thinking things through, of applying reason and intellect to the frequently intractable problems of our times-and doing this in the belief that ideas are important in today's world. We need ideas in our society-fresh ideas, relevant ideas, ideas for new times and old ideas made relevant through new application.” A longtime community leader, Henning founded Celebrity Forum while working as an administrator at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills in 1968.
2010-2011 Celebrity Forum Speakers Series
- Sullenberger, an aviation safety expert who also has much to share about the airline industry, emergency landed a jet on the Hudson River and saved the lives of 155 passengers and crew members. Sullenberger speaks Sept. 29-30 and Oct. 1;
- The granddaughter of Louis and Mary Leakey and daughter of Richard and Mauve Leakey, Louise Leakey is a third-generation paleontologist who is continuing her family's legacy to research human origins and evolution. Leakey speaks Oct. 27-29
- Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools, he was taken in by villagers in 1993 after attempting to climb Pakistan's K2. They nursed him back to health, and he promised to return and build schools for their children. Mortenson speaks Nov. 17-19;
- An Iranian-born scholar of religions, Aslan is the internationally acclaimed author of No god but God: The Origins, Evolution & Future of Islam. His most recent book is How to Win a Cosmic War: God, Globalization & the End of Terror. Aslan speaks Dec. 1-3;
- Ma, the world's most famous living cellist, will talk about three periods of his life. While this is a lecture, not a performance, he will play a couple numbers on the cello for illustration and may have a student perform. Ma speaks Feb. 2-4;
- A world statesman, Blair was the prime minister of the United Kingdom for 10 years and is now involved in mediating the peace process in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Blair speaks March 10-12; and
- Zander, the world-renown conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra and a highly energetic speaker, will use the Steinway to drive home the points of his presentation. Zander speaks May 4-6.
All series presentations take place at the Flint Center at De Anza College in Cupertino
. There are three installments
to the series; the same speaker appears in all three. Celebrity Forum I runs Fridays at 8 p.m. evenings; Celebrity Forum II is Thursdays at 8 p.m.; and Celebrity Forum III runs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. There is a long wait-list for the Friday evening installment.
are $290 for open seating; $390 for reserved seating. Tickets are for an entire series installment (I, II or II); individual speaker tickets sales are not available
To review ticket plans, and date and price options, and download the ticket order form, visit www.celebrityforum.net
. Tickets are sold by mail and fax only
, and will be sent in late August. Payment may be made by check, Mastercard or Visa. Fax credit card ticket orders to (650) 949-7121. Or, mail payment to Foothill College Celebrity Forum, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022-4599. Orders cannot be taken over the telephone or Internet.