When Are You Considered An International Student?
The International Student Office (ISO) is dedicated to supporting students on F-1 visas. For application purposes, international students at Foothill College are students who hold or will apply for an F-1 student visa.
You are not considered an international student for application purposes and you will need to fill out a domestic student application form if you are:
  • A permanent resident (hold a green card)
  • A U.S. citizen or a dual citizen
  • Currently in the United States holding a visa other than F-1 (such as B, J, H or other) and you are not planning to change your status to F-1 to study at Foothill
If you are not considered an international student by the above criteria, you should not apply through the International Student Office. This is true even if your academic records are from another country, your native language is not English and you have lived abroad most of your life. We are happy to give you some general guidance and direct you to the right resources so that your admission to Foothill is smooth and successful.
Orientation Program
The Foothill College Outreach Office organizes new student information sessions for overseas U.S. Citizens, permanent residents and non-F-1 visa holders. The sessions cover useful topics, such as class registration, academic counseling, placement testing, academic credit for courses taken abroad or at another institution, tuition, residency and financial aid, university transfer preparation and campus resources. These information sessions are offered on a limited basis. For information, call or e-mail Outreach Assistant Antoinette Chavez at (650) 949-7813 or ChavezAntoinette@fhda.edu, or visit the Outreach Events page.
If you are not an F-1 international student, you are not required to attend the International Student Orientation organized by the International Programs office.
Admissions Requirements
Please note that most of the admissions requirements listed in the Admissions section of this site, such as TOEFL scores and bank letters, do not apply to you if you will not be studying on an F-1 visa.
TOEFL and IELTS scores, as well as SAT, ACT and AP (Advanced Placement) courses are not required for admission to Foothill.
Application Process for U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, Non-F-1 Students
Unless you will be an F-1 visa student, you do not need to complete a paper-based International Student Application. Instead, you should fill out a domestic student application form online.
Please note that once your application has been accepted, you may not receive an official acceptance letter. At the end of the application process, you will see an information page that you should keep as it contains essential details, such as your ID number and registration dates.
Application Deadlines
You must submit your application by the quarterly deadline listed on the Registration and Other Key Dates webpage. Please note that the June 30, October 31 and January 31 deadlines are for F-1 student applicants only and do not apply to you.
Class Registration
To find out the appropriate registration date, go to Dates & Deadlines to find registration dates for new or returning students. (Just click on the quarter for which you want to register.)

Your registration date will also be included on the information page at the end of the application process. We recommend registering as close to the registration date as possible, since certain classes fill up quickly. You are not required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units per quarter unless you are an F-1 student.
Academic Counseling and Placement Testing
Before registering for classes, you should make an appointment to see an academic counselor. Foothill College has an outstanding team of knowledgeable and caring academic counselors who help you create your individual academic plan of studies at Foothill and guide you in your transfer process.
To make an appointment, contact Counseling Services at (650) 949-7423 or visit Room 8305A. or make an appointment online.
Before registering for mathematics, English, ESL or chemistry courses, you must take a placement test. You can make an appointment for a placement test online. You are encouraged to take the placement tests before your appointment with a counselor.
If you have taken college-level classes and your transcript shows proof of completing English, ESL or mathematics courses, you may not be required to take a placement test. If this is your first time attending Foothill or a college/university in general, you should enroll in the CNSL 50: Introduction to College course.
Academic Credit
If you completed a 13th year, AP courses or an IB program in an overseas high school, the determination of advanced credit will be done on a case-by-case basis during your private appointment with an academic counselor. You should bring with you additional documentation such as official transcripts, exam results, course catalog if available, etc.
If you are interested in receiving credit for courses you have taken in a college or a university overseas, visit the Foreign Transcripts section.
Tuition and Residency
Since Foothill College is a California public institution, there are three types of fee structures: resident, out-of-state and international tuition. All F-1 students are required to pay international tuition.
Out of State
If you are a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (hold a green card) or a qualifying visa holder who has lived abroad, and you have not established California residency, you will be considered an out-of-state student for tuition purposes for at least one year. You will have to pay out-of-state tuition.
Specific criteria determine a student's eligibility for California residency. Qualifying visa holders are A, E, G, I, K, L, H1, H4 and permanent residents. Non-qualifying visa holders are F and B students. Residency determinations are made at the Admissions & Records Office in Room 8101 based on applications and other required materials. This decision cannot be made by telephone or e-mail.
Good News:
  • Non F-1 visa holders can choose their enrollment units (are not required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units per quarter).
  • Non F-1 visa holders are not required to purchase health insurance.
Financial Aid for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents Only
Financial aid is available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Specific criteria determine a student's eligibility for financial aid, and there are many types of aid, including grants, loans, work-study, fee waivers and scholarships. When applying for financial aid, you will need to report your parents' income on the FAFSA form. If your parents live in another country, convert their income to U.S. dollars. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents (other than non-immigrant aliens, such as students in F or B status) may qualify for AB540 which grants an exemption from paying nonresident tuition at Foothill College if they:
  • have attended a high school (public or private) in California for 3 or more years
  • have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (GED or California High School Proficiency Exam).
AB540 grants an exemption from the payment of nonresident tuition, but the students will not be classified as California residents. For more information about AB540 application, please contact the Student Outreach Office.
Like most community colleges, Foothill does not have dormitories on campus. There are plenty of apartments and shared housing options near the college.
You are also welcome to participate in a homestay program through our partner International Student Placements. This is a great opportunity to become familiar with our area during your first quarter at Foothill. The minimum homestay contract is three months.
For more information about housing options, click the Housing section in the navigation menu at left.
Health Insurance
The International Student Insurance Plan is available only to international students on F-1 visas. Please contact the Health Services Office for information on other insurance plans.
Campus Resources
108 FHDA international students accepted to UC Berkeley, 150 to UCLA, 372 to UC Davis, and 72 to USC for Fall 2014! Our students were also accepted to MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Purdue and more!

International student featured in International Educator magazine article on 2+2 transfer success

Received Export Achievement Award from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce in 2012

Find out more about our Transfer Agreements(pdf).

Foothill is now an
iTEP Test Center.
Instead of TOEFL/IELTS,
Take iTEP for admission.