About Etudes for Faculty
Etudes is the course management software that we use at Foothill College to provide online and hybrid courses. Etudes based on the open source Sakai framework.
Etudes Training and Certification
Before you can start using Etudes for your courses you must have completed Etudes training. There are two ways to get certified:
- Etudes Certification Training via the internet at the Etudes, Inc. website.
- If you register for the online training course from Etudes, Inc., you MUST indicate that you will teach at Foothill College on the registration form in order to receive full support and reimbursement from Foothill Global Access. Contact us about the reimbursement process.
- Etudes Essentials Certification Training at the Foothill campus (to use Etudes for on-campus classes ONLY)
Completion of Training
Upon completion of Etudes training, faculty will be invited via email to request a ‘Development’ site and establish a new Etudes User ID by completing an online form. Use the Foothill College Employee ID Number on this form rather than SSN. This request form must be completed before a ‘Live’ course site can be set up.
Before a 'Live' course site can be set up for the upcoming quarter, the course section MUST be listed in the schedule with a CRN.
Learn the basics of Etudes
Learn how to use Etudes as an Instructor
Help and Troubleshooting
Request Etudes Site
If you plan to use Etudes for your course you must request a site. Before you may request a site you must have completed the training and be certified to use Etudes.
Live Course Site
You should submit a request for a live Etudes course site through MyPortal about five weeks before the start of the next quarter. If you are developing your site you can request a development site and then move it to the live course site when the course runs.
Foothill Global Access will flag the courses in the Student Information System in order to create a file of Etudes course sites and send it to the Etudes staff for processing. The Etudes staff will then set up the "Live" course sites for use during that term and notify the faculty member.
‘Live’ course sites are set up about a month before the next quarter starts.
If the requested new 'live' course site is not set up within a month before the next quarter starts, please contact the FGA office.
The titles of live Etudes course sites include the course CRN unless the course site combines more than one section.
Development and Project Sites
You may request 'Development' and 'Project' sites by contacting Etudes.org, however, you must be trained and certified to use Etudes first.
What to do once ‘Live’ Site is set up
Once the new sites are installed, faculty will receive a confirmation email with the instructions provided below. New 'Live' sites will automatically show up as a tab when faculty log into Etudes.
Customize (Re-Order) Your Site Tabs
To access new term's 'Live' sites quickly, faculty may want to change the ORDER of the tabs.
- Click on Preferences
- Click on the Edit link for Site Tabs
Illustrated instructions are available at the Etudes Help site (Scroll down to Customize Tabs).
Be sure to un-publish sites when the term is over! Sites remain accessible and archived for two years. Faculty can always publish their course site again if students with incompletes need access or to refer to data for resolving grade disputes.
Using 'Import From Site'
- Go to the new term Live site.
- Click on Site Info.
- Click on 'Import from Site' (far right)
- Choose the site from where you want to import content
- Choose materials that you want to import (announcements, assignments, schedule, syllabus, and resources)
- Finish the process to complete the importation.
Please note that only the tools that are enabled in both sites will import content. If a tool is not enabled in the new Live site, there won't be a place for content to be ported. So, enable it first (Site Info > Edit Tools) if a tool is missing from your site.
To remove an unwanted items from previous terms, check the adjacent box and click on update.
For a refresher on any of the import/export process of each tool, refer to the Tool tutorial in User Group Modules.
Publish Course Site
New Live Etudes course sites are automatically UNpublished when they are set up. Enrolled students will NOT have access to your course site until you Publish it.
- In order for enrolled students to login to your course site, you must to Publish it .
- Most faculty will Publish their Etudes sites early in the morning on the first day of the quarter.
Publish or Unpublish an Etudes Course Site
- Login to your course site
- Click on Site Setup on the left menu
- Click on Edit to the right of Publish
- Click on "Publish Now" to enable access to your site immediately
- Click on Done
To find out more visit the Etudes Site Publishing FAQ.
The course roster is loaded into Live course sites starting on the Thursday prior to the start of the quarter. At that point, enrolled students can only login to Etudes sites if the sites are Published.
The rosters in Etudes course sites will be refreshed twice each day, at around 5 am and 2 pm, throughout the quarter to match actual course enrollments in the Student Information System.