Syllabus Statement
We recommend including the following paragraph below in your course syllabus

To obtain disability related accommodations, students must contact Disability Resource Center (DRC) as early as possible in the quarter. To contact DRC, you may: If you already have an accommodation notification from DRC, please contact me privately to discuss your needs.

Accommodations Process and Procedure

Effective April 1, Foothill is using Clockwork, a complete scheduling and data management system designed to meet the specialized needs of DRC, the types of services provided, and the students served.

Instructors can use Clockwork to:

  • View all student accommodation requests in one spot
  • Approve accommodation testing requests
  • Provide information regarding testing times, materials, etc.

How to Access Clockwork

  • Log into myportal.fhda.edu
  • Click under "Faculty” tab
  • Scroll to bottom for "Clockwork Instructor Portlet”
  • Click on "Clockwork Foothill Disability" under Instructor Login

To learn how to use Clockwork, download the PDF tutorial guide. (1.4 MB)


Accommodations Review Procedure
If you have a question or concern about the authorized accommodation, please contact DRC immediately.

Please note that all approved academic accommodations will remain in place and must be provided by the Instructional Faculty during the dispute process and until a final determination has been made.

Please view this flowchart for better information about the review process.

Ten Common Suggestions for Accessibility in the Classrooms
  • Make textbooks decisions as early as possible.
  • Allow students to choose their own seats.
  • Post instructional materials in an accessible format online prior to class.
  • Show only videos that have been closed captioned.
  • Ensure inclusiveness in the classroom.
  • Explain the goals and objectives of the class at the first session.
  • Use multiple methods to present your materials.
  • Provide alternate ways to demonstrate knowledge of content.
  • Be open to communicating with students about their learning styles.
  • Remove physical barriers where possible.
*Source: California State University - Office of the Chancellor, Accessible Technology Initiative

Frequently Asked Questions
  1. Pop quizzes are a part of my teaching. How do I accommodate a student for pop quizzes?
  2. What is Section 504 and the American's with Disabilities Act? Why are we legally required to provide accommodations?
  3. Can I proctor an exam on my own or must I use the testing center?
    You may proctor an exam if you agree to meet all the conditions and accommodations stipulated in the accommodation notification. However, in some cases, DRC reserves the right to determine the location and identify a suitable proctor for an exam.
  4. I have a student in class who told me that s/he has a disability, but since that time has never requested any accommodations or provided me with a notification from DRC. Am I still responsible for accommodations?
    No, you are only responsible for accommodations authorized by DRC. In this case, you may wish to speak with the student in private and refer him/her to DRC.
  5. I have an online class. What does it mean when I have to make sure my materials are accessible to all students?
    Certain accessibility requirements must be addressed when developing learning materials for electronic dissemination to students. Distance education courses, resources and materials must be designed and delivered in such a way that the level of communication and course-taking experience is the same for students with or without disabilities. Please visit Foothill Global Access for more information on web accessibility.
  6. I am not sure I agree with the accommodations. What should I do?
    Please contact DRC immediately and speak with San T. Lu (650) 949-7673, Disability and Compliant Supervisor. He will work with you on this issue. In the meantime, all approved accommodations must be provided.
  7. I suspect one of my students may have an unidentified learning disability. What can I do to help him/her?
    Refer that person to Russell Wong, Learning Disability Specialist. He can be reached at (650) 949-7040, or by email at wongrussell@foothill.edu
  8. What is alternative media and what do I do when a student asks me to provide my powerpoints to alternate media production? Must I provide these items?
    Alternative Media is any instruction related material which is converted or altered from its original state into a different format so it is accessible and usable by people with disabilities. This may include, but is not limited to, Braille, ASCII text, large print, recorded audio, electronic text (e-text) formats, and video captioning.
Students who are print impaired have a legal right to equal access of their textbooks and other classroom instructional materials as their peers. These materials may need to be scanned to disc, printed in Braille or converted to audio files. Videos must be captioned to be accessible to deaf students. The alternate media specialist and accommodation specialist at Foothill coordinate the outside ordering or the in-house production of these. Please provide your materials in the quarter prior to the start of your classes so that our staff may begin their work in providing students with access to classroom materials.
Top of page August 27, 2015