New to Foothill College?
Here are some tips to help you get started.
Do this first!
Have you filled out our free online application for admission?
This is the first thing you should do. You will be under no obligation to attend Foothill College. Completing the application gets you in our college database so that when you meet with a counselor, take placement tests or try to get your classes, the college has your basic student information. Go to the application page and follow the steps to apply.
- Do you have questions about applying to the college?
If you have any problems or questions about applying, please see a counselor. If it is a quick question, just post it in the Advising Forum and someone will usually respond within 24 hours. If you prefer to speak with someone, call the Admissions and Records office at (650) 949-7325.
- Have you met with a counselor?
Once you have completed an application and have been given a Student ID number, you may schedule a 30- minute counseling appointment online. It can be a telephone appointment, but if you can come to Foothill we would really like to meet you personally and discuss getting started with your college or career plans and how we can help. Students generally leave this first meeting with a plan and understanding about some of the terms we use, such as assessment, register, add, educational plan, transfer, etc. The counselor will tell you about the college orientation course: Counseling 5–Introduction to College. In this 12-hour class, you will learn and discuss a number of things that will help you settle into college life.
- Have you taken assessment tests?
Like most colleges, we generally require all new college students to take math and English placement tests. If you're not sure whether you need to take the tests, meet with a counselor to discuss it. You can schedule placement test appointments online.
- Are you wondering about:
- What classes you should take? Definitely see a counselor.
- When to register for classes? Your registration date will be given to you after you apply and get your student ID. You need your student ID to register for classes.
- What to do if you have to change your classes? You can add and drop classes online, but if you are having any problems, check in with a counselor or go to the Admissions and Records Office in the Student Services Building (8100)
- How to get some financial help? Stop by the Financial Aid office on the Foothill campus.
- Need more information?
See our admission and registration page for links to admission policies, fees and refunds, orientation sessions, forms, transfer planning, deadlines and more.