Frequently Asked Questions


Q. Have general questions?
A. Use our online information service, Ask Foothill.


Q: I’m brand new. How do I get started?
A: First, apply to Foothill College: Next, take your Math and English placement tests. Lastly we highly recommend you enroll in CNSL 5 because it will help you understand what you need to transfer and/or graduate.

Q: Do I need to take placement tests? How can I do this?
A: Unless you’ve taken math and English at another college, in which case you’d fill out a prerequisite clearance form, you do have to take placement tests. You can schedule an appointment online:

Q: Do you take placement tests results from other colleges?
A: Yes, we do. Fill out a prerequisite clearance form and attach your placement. We do need to see what class you were placed into, we cannot accept a raw score.

Q: How can I make an appointment to see a counselor?
A: Go to Then, select whether you want an appointment on the main campus or Middlefield campus. Then, select the day and time that works best for you. You can even select a specific counselor to work with. You will need an active Foothill College Student ID number to make an appointment. If you haven’t attended in two or more quarters, you must reapply for admission to Foothill College.

Q: Are phone appointments available?
A: We have 30-minute phone appointments available for those who live too far from Foothill.
During your appointment time, call your counselor.  Their phone numbers are at this link:

Q: Help! There are no appointments available.
A: Keep trying. We only allow students to make appointments one week in advance. New appointments are available every night at midnight. Moreover, there are always cancellations. Check regularly and you will find an open appointment. During the summer, we have very limitedappointments so plan ahead and see a counselor during the school year.   

Q:  I am not a student at Foothill College.  Can I use your service?
A:  Services are reserved for Foothill students only.  However, if you apply to Foothill College, you can make a counseling appointment using your student id. There is no cost to complete an application.

Q: Where is the counseling center?
A:  Building 8300, Student Development Center, third floor.  Adjacent to Parking Lot 8.

Q: Do I have to take CNSL 5?
A: All colleges have some form of orientation to help prepare students for college. The Counseling 5 Introduction to College class will give you a better understanding of what you need to do to perform better in college, transfer to a 4-year university, obtain an Associate Degree, how to choose a career and major. An important part of this newly revised course is your creation of an education plan to keep you on track toward your goals. CNSL 5 is not required, but we highly recommend it.

Q: How can I get a transcript?
A: You can request an official transcript in 4 different ways: online, letter, Fax, or in person at the Admissions and Records office. For online, letter, and fax, please visit

Q: What is an unofficial transcript?
A: An unofficial transcript is one that you may have printed from the internet or is in an unsealed envelope. For transcripts to be official, they need to be in a sealed envelope or emailed to the college from an official transcript service.  Log into “my portal” and you can print out a copy of your unofficial transcript.

Back to top


Q: How can I exceed the unit limit of 21.5 units per quarter?
A: You need to fill out the Petition for Excess Units form and meet with a counselor. The form can be found on
If you request over 25.5 units, the counselor will submit your request to the Academic Council. They meet once per week and will decide if your education plan warrants an approval of that many units.

Q: How can I clear a prerequisite hold?
A: You can take the placement test for Chemistry, English, ESL, or Math. If you have coursework from another college, fax your transcript (unofficial is acceptable) and course description to the Counseling Department.. Fax the form and your transcripts to 650-949-6125. Note that unofficial transcripts we receive, once used to clear a prerequisite are not kept and shredded.

Q: How can I clear a probation hold?
A: Make a 30-min appointment with a Counselor.

Q: I want to know if the class I took at College “x” counts for Foothill College. What do I do?
A: To know if a class counts for a degree at Foothill College, you’ll have to fill out a course substitution form found here: The current form requires a counselor signature. Their signature just means that a counselor saw you and helped you fill out the form. Once you filled out the form, you will take it to the respective Division. The Division dean gives the form to a faculty member to make a decision. Once the faculty member makes a decision, they sign the form, send it to the dean, who also signs the form. That signed form is sent to the Counseling Division evaluator who enters the decision in our system and mails you the hard copy. Please save that hard copy. You may need it when you petition for graduation.

To know if the class counts for transfer, you can check on

Q: How many units do I need to get a Foothill College AA/AS degree?
A: 90 or more applicable units depending on the degree. See the list of degrees and the details for specific degrees.

Q: What is the minimum math I need to get a degree from Foothill College?
A: Math 105, Intermediate Algebra.  Transfer to 4 year college or university typically requires a math course higher than Intermediate algebra.

Q: My counselor told me about a program called DegreeWorks. How can I learn more about it?
A: The Counseling 5 course will introduce you to the educational planning tool – DegreeWorks. You can also access DegreeWorks on your own.  DegreeWorks looks at the Foothill College associate degree requirements, as well as the coursework you’ve completed at Foothill and other colleges to produce an easy-to-read audit. The audit explains how courses taken or proposed count toward degree requirements. DegreeWorks also allows you to plan for future coursework. You can make simulations for different career goals by declaring or changing your academic major. In addition to giving you real-time information and streamlining the graduation process, DegreeWorks allows you to directly access a variety of related services and information though links to the college catalog, class schedule and other resources.

Access DegreeWorks Via
You can access DegreeWorks from any computer with Internet access at any time through your account. To access DegreeWorks, follow these simple steps:

  1. Log in to your account;
  2. Click the Students tab; and
  3. Locate the DegreeWorks mini-window where you can do the following:
  • Launch DegreeWorks;
  • Read DegreeWorks Quick Start & FAQ (PDF Files);
  • Watch Helpful, Short Video Tutorials; and
  • Troubleshoot, Report Problems & Request Additional Help.
  • Meet with a counselor for assistance or if you need a locked (official) plan

Q. I heard we need to have an online education plan for registration. Is this true?
A: To get priority registration, you will need to meet with a counselor to develop an educational plan. That educational plan will need to be in our online audit system, Degreeworks and locked which must be done by a counselor. You will also need to maintain a 2.0 gpa and complete at least 50% of your enrolled units each quarter.

Back to top


Q: I’m unsure of my major. Who can I see?
A: Listen to a webinar at Student Lingo videos are free, you just have to type in your name. Another option is to enroll in a CRLP 7 class, where you learn to analyze your likes, values, personality, and skills you want to use in work. This process can help you identify a major. Lastly, you can schedule a 30-minute counseling appointment to discuss your options with a counselor.

Q: How do I know what counts towards my Foothill College major?
A: Our list of programs and majors can be found on this link. The list of major classes can be found by clicking on your major.
You can also log onto Degreeworks to see how much more you have to do for your major.

Q: What majors do Foothill College offer?
A: Our list of programs and majors can be found on this link. The list of major classes can be found by clicking on your major.

Q: I want to know more about Allied Health programs, like being an x-ray tech, or going into medical sonography. Who can I talk to?
A: All our information is online. We strongly recommend you read the website and application thoroughly. You can find all program information on
If you need clarification on anything we have online, you can always make an appointment with a counselor.

Q: Who can advise me about transferring?
A: Schedule a 30-minute appointment with a counselor who can explain how to use and the requirements to transfer. In addition, visit the Transfer Center’s web site to learn about upcoming workshops and a schedule of university representative’s visits:

Q: How many units do I need to complete at Foothill College to transfer?
A: If you want to transfer to a UC or CSU, you need 90 TRANSFERABLE units. A counselor can help you understand what is transferable and what is not. In general, courses numbered #1-49 are UC transferable and courses numbered #1-99 are CSU transferable. If you want to transfer to a Private university, each school has it’s own requirements. You need to check the admissions requirements found on each college’s website.

Q: How do I know if the classes I took at Foothill College transfer to the CSU or UC’s?
A: Check . This excellent tool has many
Intricacies and they are discussed in Counseling 5 or make a counseling appointment. Counselors are very familiar with this tool.

Q: Does the date I apply to UC/CSU affect the decision for acceptance?
A:  No, but it is better to apply before the deadline, typically November 30 for the following fall admission. Attend US/CSU transfer workshops held in the Transfer Center.  See the workshop calendar from the comprehensive transfer center website.

Q: What is the deadline to apply to UC
A: November 30th at exactly 11:59pm. Please submit your application way before the deadline! Computers and networks can fail and the UC will not make exceptions.

Q: What is the deadline to apply to CSU
A: Similar to the UC system the deadline for priority admission is November 30th at exactly 11:59pm. Unlike the UC system you CAN apply after November 30 but you would not have the priority admission. With more and more CSU colleges and majors becoming impacted you do not to be waitlisted for a major. Apply early!

Q:  What is the difference between TAG/TAA/TAP?
A:  The TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) and TAA (Transfer Admission Agreement) perform the same function which is to provide a roadmap to guaranteed admission for a specific CSU or UC campus.

The TAP (Transfer Alliance Program) is provided through UCLA and gives you the opportunity to enhance your ability to transfer to UCLA at the junior level.  TAP is not a guaranteed agreement. Students are certified after completing the Foothill honors/scholars program and given priority consideration for admission.

Q: How do I apply for a TAG/TAA/TAP?
A: The deadline to apply for a UC TAG is Sept. 30th. Each school has its own requirements. You can read them here:

Q: What exactly goes on in TAG workshop? 
A: Two main things go on in a Tag workshop:
1)Students are provided with information on deadlines and the TAG process.
2) Students are instructed on how to calculate their transferable GPA.

Q:  How many TAGs (Transfer Admission Guarantee) for the UC system can I complete?
A:  Only one. 

Q:  What is the difference between speaking with a Transfer Counselor vs. the Transfer Coordinator?
A:  The Transfer Counselor can help you make appropriate education decisions, that will lead you on the way to transferring.  A Transfer Counselor can assist students by mapping out an education plan, and selecting the proper courses within each quarter system.

The Transfer Coordinator can help with transfer information, and conducts workshops such as: completing applications and essays, and choosing the best colleges. Dates for these workshops can be found on the Foothill college website under

Q: How do I get into the Honors program?
A: All our information is online. Visit:

Q: Do all private universities require SAT scores?
A: No, contact the school you are interested in for specific requirements.

Q: What do I do in a UC or CSU application workshop?
A: The UC and CSU application workshop introduces student to the appropriate websites, and provides information about university admission criteria. A student may utilize the computers in the Transfer Center and request individual assistance by making an appointment with a Transfer Counselor or 10-minute drop-in with a counselor.

Q: What is the maximum number of units I can transfer to the UC or CSU from the community college?
A: The CSUs and UCs will only accept 105-120 community college transferable quarter units depending on the major. Having more will not affect your transfer in a negative way. This is how it works. The CSUs and UCs look at IGETC and your major requirements first. They take those classes and count those units. They keep doing this until they reach the maximum quarter units. After that amount, they stop counting your units towards transfer/graduation BUT they will still count classes you took and count them as being complete.

For example, say you took English 1A worth 5 quarter units. You took it at the very end of your FH career so you took it AFTER you've already completed the maximum quarter units. The CSU will look at that and say, we need English 1A so let’s mark it as complete, but we won't count 5 units toward transfer. And, why would they…you already have the 90 you need.

Q: Do I need an AA degree before I transfer?
A: No, you don’t. It is not necessarily better or worse to get an AA/AS degree before transfer. What you need to know is that each degree objective has its own requirements that need to be fulfilled.

Q: I’ve heard about a new AA-T, AA-S degree. What is that?
This website gives you a lot of great information. To summarize, if you earn a specific TRANSFER Associates degree before you transfer, you can get priority admission to the CSU system. Foothill currently offers twenty AA-T/AA-S degrees.

Q: How do I request an IGETC or CSU GE certificate when I am ready to transfer?
A: From the link, click on CSU/IGETC Certificate Checklist/Request and turn the form into the Counseling office.

Q: Will a “W” count towards my gpa?
A: No. An excess amount of W’s can cause a student to be put on progress probation or dismissed from Foothill College.

Q: What do colleges think about “W’s”
A: The more competitive a college is, the more they care about an excess amount of W’s.

Q: What is a competitive college?
A: A college that consistently has a great deal more students applying than seats available is competitive.

Q: What does impacted major mean?
A: A college that indicates a major that is impacted has a great deal more students applying than seats available. A good example is the nursing major at the CSU system. Also, some colleges like UC Berkeley and UCLA suggest that the majority of their majors are impacted. 

Q: I got into a CSU/UC. Now what?
A: Fill out the CSU/IGETC certificate request form so we can send a certification that you completed your General Education. We only send one copy to the school you were admitted into. The school you got into will send you instructions via email. Read all the emails and follow all the directions and you’ll be set!

Back to top


Q:  Where do I find internship information?
A: There are multiple ways to find internships. 

  1. Contact the Internship office:
  2. Look up companies you want to work for. Look on their “Jobs” section to see if they have internship positions. If they do, apply. If they don’t, contact Human Resources and/or a manager in the department where you want to intern and try to create an internship.
  3. If you need help writing a resume or preparing a cover letter, make an appointment with a career counselor and (s)he can help you.

Q: How do I find a job on campus?
A:  Most students learn of an opening through a staff/faculty person. There are no job announcements for on campus positions. You can also walk into a department and ask if they are hiring.  Most student work on campus is through the Federal Work Study Program offered through Financial Aid. You need to complete the FAFSA ( to apply for Federal Aid. 

Q:  Can I take career assessments in the Career Center?
A: You need to enroll in the four-unit CRLP 7 class to take the Myers-Briggs and Strong Interest Inventory career assessments. You can take the True Colors and Skill Scan assessment through a free program called Eureka. You can use the Transfer Center computers (room 8329) Mon – Fri.

Back to top


Q: How many units do I need to take each quarter?
A: All students on an F-1 visa need to be enrolled in and complete 12 units per quarter.

Q: I have an I-20 with Foothill College but I also want to go to DeAnza. What do I do?
A: See an international counselor to confirm that the course you want to take is equivalent, then see Arthur Levine in room 5922 to get permission to enroll at DeAnza.

Q: My native language is not English. How do I complete the “Language other than English requirement” for the UCs?
A: There are many ways to complete this requirement without taking a language class at Foothill College. The most common ways for International Students are:

  • Two years with a grade of “C” or better (70% out of 100%) at the sixth grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is English. We will need official transcripts from this school
  • If secondary school was completed in a non-English speaking country and the language of instruction was NOT English, send your official high school transcripts (or mark sheets) and Foothill College will count that for the Language other than English requirement for IGETC.

Q: As an F-1 student, do I need to take the TOEFL to transfer to a CSU or UC?
A: The answer depends on the school you want to transfer to, when you completed English 1A and English 1B and what grade you earned in those classes.  Please check with your counselor for up to date information because transfer information changes frequently. As of Fall 2010, CSU will allow you to waive TOEFL if you have taken 3 years full-time at a U.S. college and have completed 108 transferable quarter units at Foothill College. The UC will allow you to waive TOEFL if you have completed 2 English composition courses by the end of the Fall of the year you apply with a grade of  “B” or higher.

Q: As an F-1 student, do I need to take the TOEFL to transfer to a private or out of state school?
Each school has different requirements. Read the school’s Undergraduate Admissions page. Specifically search transfer and international or F1 on the undergraduate admissions page for more details.

Q: I have college credits from my home country. Will they count toward the Associate Degree at Foothill College?
A: It depends. First, you need to have your transcripts evaluated by a Foreign Evaluation Services Company . Then, meet with a counselor because you may need to fill out several course substitution forms with course descriptions for each class.

If you are using your foreign transcripts to transfer to a university, Foothill College does not evaluate the transcripts; the receiving institution will evaluate them and will let you know what counts for transfer and what doesn’t count for transfer AFTER they admit you. Make sure you work with your counselor.

Back to top

Counseling Links

About Us
Locations and Hours
Faculty & Staff

Meet a Counselor
Make an Appointment
Online Quick Questions

Educational Choices
Degrees and Certificates
General Education
Counseling Guide (PDF)
Download 5.1 MB, 52 pgs

Probation and Disqualification
Steps to Clear Probation Hold

Additional Information
Graduation Petitions