Fact Sheet - Pros and Cons
What is it?
A pass that will allow all enrolled Foothill College students with a valid
OWL Card unlimited ride service for VTA bus and light rail.
Who does it affect?
All enrolled Foothill College students for both the fee and the provided service,
regardless if the student uses the service or not.
Every enrolled Foothill College student will be assessed the mandatory fees described
above regardless if they use the service or not if so approved by the FHDA Board
Can students get a refund of this fee?
No, not even if the student drops units, except as provided by the FHDA Board of Trustees.
Are students on BOG required to pay?
Yes, except as provided by the FHDA Board of Trustees.
Are students on financial assistance provided by the State or Federal government required
to pay this fee?
Yes, except as provided the FHDA Board of Trustees
- Provides students the opportunity for affordable transportation within the VTA bus/light rail network
- Could relieve automobile traffic and parking congestion on campus
- Regular VTA annual bus pass costs $770 versus Eco-Pass that costs up to $20 per student annually
- Handicap and bicycle accessible
- Promotes alternative transportation which can reduce carbon footprint
- Students that do not use the VTA bus/light rail still have to pay
- Loss of revenue from parking permit sales will decrease college funding for parking lot and structure maintenance
- If students do not utilize Eco-Pass, VTA may be overpaid for services
- Inconsistent accessibility to VTA bus/light rail stations
- Could decrease carpool
Choices for this Measure:
- Yes, the Board of Trustees of the College District should take action to
charge a quarterly mandatory fee of up to five dollars to all full-time De
Anza College students and a quarterly mandatory prorated amount to all Foothill
College part-time students to provide a VTA Eco-Pass to all students.
- No, the FHDA Board of Trustees should not take action to charge a quarterly
mandatory fee of up to five dollars to all Foothill College full time students
and a quarterly mandatory prorated amount to all Foothill College part-time
students to provide a VTA Eco-Pass to all students.