Types of Financial Aid
Foothill Students on campus

The following financial aid programs are available at Foothill College. We understand and recognize the financial undertaking involved with your education and the importance of the right combination of resources to enable you to study at Foothill College. If you have any questions, please contact us or visit the Financial Aid Office to discuss or submit information about your financial aid needs with our friendly staff.


Federal Pell Grant
The Federal Pell Grant is designed to provide financial assistance to eligible undergraduate students based on need. Grants range from $598 to $5,815 at Foothill College. The enrollment status of the student, i.e. full time, three-quarter time, half time or less than half time will have a proportional effect on the amount of money a student will receive. The Federal Pell Grant is money that a student does not need to repay.

In December 2011, President Obama signed into law the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 (Public Law 112-74). This law has significantly impacted the Pell Grant Program. Beginning in Summer 2012, Students are now limited to six full years (18 quarters / 12 semesters / 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime. This change affects all students regardless of when or where they received their first Pell Grant.

How is the percentage used calculated?
The percentages are based off the annual award at fulltime enrollment status. For students with an annual award for 2016-2017 academic year, at the maximum award, $5,815 and attended 12 or more credits in three quarters (Fall, Winter & Spring for example), the percentage used for the 2016-2017 academic year is 100%. If you only attended 9 credits for three quarters, your percentage used for the academic year is 75%.

Can I see my lifetime Pell Grant used?
You may view your Pell Grant used by logging into www.NSLDS.ed.gov.

I have questions about this, who do I call?
Foothill College Financial Aid Staff is available to discuss the change in the lifetime Pell Grant eligibility with you. Please call us at (650) 949-7245 or e-mail fhfinancialaidoffice@foothill.edu.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
The Federal SEOG is designed for undergraduate students of exceptional financial need who without the grant would be unable to continue their education. Students with Pell Grants and zero Expected Family Contribution (EFC) are eligible. Due to the proportion of grant aid to cost of attendance, those students who have an 'At Home' COA and have been awarded a Cal Grant will forfeit their SEOG so that a more needy, less awarded student may benefit. At Foothill College, the SEOG award amount is up to $600 per academic year. The Federal SEOG is also a program that does not need to be repaid.

Cal Grants
To qualify for Cal Grants, a student must be a California resident, meet the basic requirements for federal aid, financial need and minimum GPA requirements, and submit a FAFSA and verified Cal Grant GPA by March 2. In addition, the passage of the California Dream Act allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid including the Cal Grant.

There are three different Cal Grants: Cal Grant A, B and C. Cal Grant A pays for tuition and fees at a four-year institution. Students may place the award on reserve for up to two years while attending community college. A student awarded Cal Grant B may receive the living allowance ($1,670) at community college; upon transfer to a four-year institution, they continue to receive the living allowance plus the tuition award in the same amount as the Cal Grant A. Cal Grant C recipients must be enrolled in a vocational or technical program and receive $576 per year for a maximum of two years.

Students must be enrolled at least half-time and the grants are pro-rated for part time enrollment. Due to the proportion of grant aid to cost of attendance, those students who have an 'At Home' COA and have been awarded a Cal Grant will forfeit their SEOG, if awarded, so that a more needy, less awarded student may benefit.
Chafee Grant
This federal program is administered by the California Student Aid Commission. It offers college and vocational school financial aid to youth who are aging out of foster care programs. For up to $5,000, the student must demonstrate financial need, meet basic eligibility requirements, and complete the FAFSA and the Chafee Grant Application at www.csac.ca.gov

Full-Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG)
The Full-Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) is a new CA State program beginning with Fall 2015. It is designed for students who were granted a Cal Grant B for the 2016-17 year and are getting disbursements at the Full-Time amount. This new grant, FTSSG, is $200 each quarter for the fall, winter, and spring terms, assuming FT enrollment. Beginning with Fall 2016, recipients of a Cal Grant C award for the 16-17 academic year will also be eligible for the FTSSG if they are Full-Time students. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Financial Aid Office.


Scholarships are "gift aid" which do not have to be repaid. There are several resources offered on our Scholarship page.
  • Due to the generous support of the Foothill De Anza Foundation, Foothill College offers many scholarships; the majority of these scholarships have a deadline of mid-February.
  • In addition, we post scholarship offerings from outside donors; these offerings change on a regular basis as we are notified of new scholarship opportunities or deadlines expire.
  • Finally, there are a number of scholarship search engines where you can create a profile to receive notifications of upcoming scholarships, which meet your profile qualifications.

Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver
California residents and AB540 students who are attending a California Community College may apply for the Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver. If a student is awarded the BOG Fee Waiver it will, in most cases, waive all of his/her enrollment fees during the academic year. For more information about the BOG Fee Waiver eligibility requirements and how to apply, please visit the Financial Aid BOG Waiver page.


Student Employment

Federal Work Study
The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for students who have financial need and want to earn a part of their educational expenses through employment. Students can work up to 19 hours per week while classes are in session and during school breaks. Students may earn $10 to $16.75 per hour. Community service work opportunities are also available through the Federal Work-Study Program. Students cannot work over the award amount allocated for a work-study assignment. When a work-study award is made, the student is responsible for arranging an interview with the Financial Aid Work-Study Placement assistant for job placement.



Federal Direct Loan
Students who demonstrate need for a portion or all of the annual limit will receive a subsidized loan and the federal government will pay the interest for the period of time in which the student is eligible for an in-school deferment. Students who do not demonstrate need for part or all of the annual borrowing limit may still receive an unsubsidized loan and pay their own interest during the time they are in-school. The annual limit for a student in the first year of undergraduate study is $9,500, prorated for the program length. The annual limit for a student in the second year of study is $10,500. Repayment begins six months after the borrower graduates, withdraws from college, or drops below half-time status.

Federal Direct Plus
The Federal Direct PLUS loan is available to parents of dependent students wishing to borrow on behalf of their dependent in order to meet the cost of attendance. The annual borrowing limit is the difference between the cost of attendance and the estimated financial assistance.

Top of pageNovember 08, 2016